Weekend Breakfast: Spinach and Mushroom Frittata

I love cooking. I mean, it really relaxes me. Right now though, I don't have time to cook like I want to during the week. I like to play with new recipes, get creative, and cook from scratch. Those things take time. So on weekends, this Mommy cooks.

More challenging now is that I buy ingredients when I grocery shop that don't always get used when we plan on it. Meal planning or not when you have a busy household sometimes plans have to change. You know what they say about the best laid plans. So when I looked in the fridge on Saturday morning to see what needed to be used, I found: 2.5 lbs of fresh mushrooms purchased on manager's special for $0.75, a nearly full bag of grated Parmesan from my favorite .99 Everything, a bag of frozen spinach I can't figure out how to get my family to eat by itself, and eggs. Lots of eggs...because our 8 laying hens are in overdrive now that the days are getting long. What to do with all those eggs? Frittata, for one.

I made this amazing spinach and mushroom frittata yesterday and it was so good even my picky 6 year old ate it. Veggies.And.All. And thanks to my lucky grocery deal finds, it cost about $3 to make.


The best part is, it wasn't all that difficult. It took me a minute to find my inspiration, sure...but once I found it there was only about 20 minutes of active time. Here goes:



Spinach and Mushroom Frittata

Ingredients:
6 eggs, well beaten
1/4 cup 2% milk
3/4 cup grated parmesan
2 cups chopped mushrooms
1 cup frozen leaf spinach
2 Tbsp. butter, divided
1/4 tsp. black pepper
1/8 tsp. white pepper
1/4-1/2 tsp iodized salt (to your family's taste)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9" pie pan (if you've never done this: get a paper towel, swipe a glop of softened butter about the size of your thumbnail with the paper towel, and smear it ALL OVER the inside of the pie pan). If you're just putting out a fresh stick you can use the butter wrapper to do this too. This works infinitely better than cooking spray at keeping egg goop from sticking when baked.

Heat butter in a large frying pan over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, salt and black pepper to taste (I used about 1/4 tsp. of both but we like it peppery) and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms release their liquid and get soft. Add the chopped frozen spinach. Turn heat down to low and cover. Check the spinach every few minutes, once it is thawed and you can stir it into the mushrooms, turn off the heat and take the cover off.

In a medium bowl, crack 6 eggs. Add milk, white pepper, and a bit of salt to taste. Beat well.

Add mushrooms and spinach to egg mixture, stir, and pour into the pie pan. Bake at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until it begins to brown around the edges and the middle is firm. Check this by tapping the middle lightly with your fingers--if it wiggles side to side AT ALL, it needs to bake a little longer. The middle and the edges should have the same feel when you tap them. Trust me, you don't want to take this out too early!

~~

Monkey liked his served with a nice coating of ketchup, but Mister Wonderful and I thought it was fine as-is. For our family of three this made enough to have for breakfast both Saturday and Sunday and it reheats fine in the microwave.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why I Don't Do No-spend Months